Monday, January 19, 2015

Greece - Athens, Crete, and Santorini Itinerary



A lot of friends have been asking me where to go for their honeymoon..

And although we had a perfect one in Maldives.. My answer would be Greece.. Santorini to be exact! :)

I could stare at the caldera from our balcony in Imerovigli the whole day, everyday.. And those were just the most peaceful and beautiful moments..

Ruins in Athens. Shopping in Crete. Because in Santorini, the same things we bought from Crete were at least 3 times more expensive!

We spent 3 days in Santorini, and though it was enough to see everything.. it was not enough for me. And if you are wondering why we stayed in 2 accommodations, it was because I wanted to experience the difference between Imerovigli and Oia.

Oia is lovelier with all the blue domes and pretty shops, but Imerovigli has the panoramic view of the caldera. People say that the sunset in Oia is the most beautiful in the world. But I loved the sunset from our balcony in Imerovigli better ;)


Vallais Villas, Imerovigli, Santorini, Greece


--------------------

Flight - Singapore to Athens - Qatar Airways

Day 1 - Athens

Accommodation - Alice Inn Athens - 1 Night

Acropolis, Athens, Greece

Day 2 - Athens to Chania, Crete

Flight - Olympic Air - 50 Minutes
Accommodation - Room Honeymoon - 2 Nights

Venetian Harbour, Chania, Crete, Greece

Day 3 - Chania

Car Rental - Athens Cars - 24 Hours
Accommodation - Room Honeymoon - 2 Nights

Old Town, Chania, Crete, Greece

Day 4 - Chania to Heraklion, Crete - 2 Hours (By Car)

Accommodation - Kronos Hotel - 1 Night

Heraklion, Crete, Greece

Day 5 - Heraklion to Imerovigli, Santorini

Ferry - Hellenic Seaways - 2 Hours
Car Rental - From one of the companies at the pier - 3 days
Accommodation - Vallais Villas - 2 Nights

Vallais Villas, Imerovigli, Santorini, Greece

Day 6 - Imerovigli

Accommodation - Vallais Villas - 2 Nights

Vallais Villas, Imerovigli, Santorini, Greece

Day 7 - Imerovigli to Oia, Santorini - 15 Minutes (By Car)

Accommodation - Delfini Villas - 1 Night

Oia, Santorini, Greece

Day 8 - Santorini to Athens

Flight - Olympic Air - 50 Minutes
Accommodation - Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel - 1 Night

Oia, Santorini, Greece

Day 9 - Athens 

Flight - Athens to Singapore - Qatar Airways

Acropolis, Athens, Greece

Enjoy planning your trip guys! :)


Also check out: 
---------------------------
References:

September - Our Budget for 9 Days for 2 Persons sharing the Room ;)
Plane Fare from Singapore - SGD 1,200 x 2 = SGD 2,400
Plane Fare from Athens to Crete / Santorini to Athens - SGD 250 x 2 = SGD 500
Ferry from Crete to Santorini, Car Rental, and Gas - SGD 600
8 Nights Accommodation - SGD 1,400
Food and Entrance Fees - SGD 700
Total for 2 Persons = SGD 5,600 / EUR 3,600

21 comments:

  1. Somewhere we are looking upon. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Paulo. I hope it is helpful! :)

      Delete
  2. I need this! Thanks Jamie, say hi to Sherick for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Bart! Enjoy your trip! Sherick say hi too :)

      Delete
  3. shucks.. beautiful sceneries! someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I don't know if it's the best, but my favourite was Anogi in Imerovigli :)

      Delete
  5. Interesting to stumble upon your blog, as we are (with our 1 year old son - God help us!) are planning to head over to Athens, Crete and Santorini next month (I know, Jan seems to be the coldest month)

    I am tasked to plan for this trip, so a bit unnerving! Having 3 weeks to explore these 3 stunning places, any tips especially the travel bit between islands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm so sorry for this very late reply as I got busy with the holidays and my pregnancy. You may have gone to Greece already though, and I hope you had a wonderful time with your son and family! (I can't wait to have mine next month ;))

      In case you haven't gone through your trip, we took flights to and from Athens, and the ferry from Heraklion, Crete to Santorini. We took the ferry because we wanted to see the view of the Santorini island from afar, and it was exciting for us to be approaching it from the water. When we arrived at the pier, we rented a small car from one of the car rental people who approached us. It made travelling around Santorini very easy.

      In Crete, we also rented a car to go around. In Athens, we just walked around, though I'm not sure how feasible it will be with a small child.

      Take care :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Jamie,

    Firstly thanks for sharing such a lovely details. Santorini have been on my wish list for a long time & want to visit this May. As per many blogs that I have gone through they have suggested May as a perfect time for the holiday at Greece. Also your blog gave the maximum details of the place.

    I would request you to kindly share your detailed itinerary so I can plan my trip. I also will be visiting Athens & Santorini.

    Thanks in advance for the help extended. :)

    Take care.

    Regards,
    Mayukh
    Kolkata - India
    mayukh.iiswbm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mayukh,

      Thank you for the appreciation. I am not sure if you have gone for your trip, or not. I apologise for this very late reply. I gave birth, and my time all went to taking care of my baby :) I don't do detailed itineraries as we often have relaxed holidays.. but I could suggest that you rent a car in Santorini to drive around, and go to Oia, Imerovigli, Fira, Santo Wines, Red Beach and the Monastery. I may have missed other sites, but the ones I mentioned were the only places we visited, and they were all nice. Have at least a meal at Enogi, Imerovigli. As for Athens, we didn't spend to much time there, so we only saw the Acropolis and the other ruins.

      Not much help, I apologise. If you've been to Greece already, I hope you had a wonderful time.

      Cheers,
      Jamie

      Delete
  7. HI.. I am planning on my greece trip. 1 short question, Do we have to show international driving license when we rent car in crete? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jodi, I apologise for the very late reply. I'm not sure if you've already gone for your Greece trip. If not yet, from what I remember, yes we showed our international driving license when we rented a car in crete. Hope you had, or you'll have, an awesome trip! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi, for the domestic flight did you pre-book in sg or you booked when you were at greece :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, we pre-booked the domestic flights in sg :)

      Delete
  9. Hello Jamie,

    Did you took the ferry with your luggage. Is there any extra charges for the bringing in luggage into the ferry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Yes, we took the ferry with our luggage. There was no extra charge for it :)
      Enjoy your trip!

      Jamie

      Delete
  10. hi..
    you can also book hotels in Chania which provides other free services like free breakfast and wifi.which is the best hotels in Greece.

    ReplyDelete